International Relief & Development
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Agriculture Value Chain Development Specialist
at International Relief & Development
Call for Resumes
The Agriculture Value Chain Development Specialist will serve as the key technical lead for the project. S/he will supervise technical and field-based project activities, including but not limited to market linkages, expansion of production and processing aspects of target value chains, engagement of the private sector, and capacity building for local partners.
This position is pending award of a 5-year contract through the US Agency for International Development.
Essential Job Functions:
- Oversee the Private Sector institution capacity building component of the project, including all target value chains.
- Advise upon and promote ways to improve buyer-seller intermediation for all targeted value chains.
- Oversee project activities on expanding the use of grades and standards within the region.
- Oversee project activities on increasing access to and use of market information within the region, including promoting viable business models for market information systems.
- Oversee project activities on increasing access to and use of financial services within the region.
- Collaborate with bilateral projects across the region to strengthen higher ends of value chains.
- Develop and maintain relationships with program staff and senior management, public and private sector partners, and value chain actors.
- Manage team of staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, agricultural economics, agribusiness development or related field from an accredited university is required.
- Minimum of 10 years’ field experience in agricultural or value chain development particularly in targeted value chains in West Africa.
- Experience identifying opportunities for value chain development which promote market linkages, improve access to markets at the processor and household level, and positively impact the entire value chain.
- Experience with agricultural and rural development conditions in emerging markets.
- Experience working in Western Africa or other African regions with comparable markets.
- Knowledge of livelihood and/or food security programming.
- Knowledge of regional, cross-border and international trade procedures, market information systems, and quality standard requirements for agriculture.
- Experience in promotion of financial products and services for staple crop trade and investment and rural agricultural markets.
- Fluency in English and French required.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Senegal or Francophone West Africa experience.
- Master’s degree in agriculture, agribusiness development or related field.
- Experience training staff.
- Prior experience in USAID funded projects.
- Must be innovative and resourceful in creating an awareness of new initiatives which respond to the needs and practices of project beneficiaries.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, take direction, assume leadership, and make rational decisions while working remotely from country leadership.
- Ability to train and facilitate dialogue among a diverse group of individuals with various skill sets and work styles.
- High motivation, initiative, and adaptability.
- An ability to work successfully in remote and challenging settings with limited resources.
- This position will be based in Senegal, with an expectation of travel within the country of up to 40%.
- Normal Office Conditions.