City of Norfolk (VA)
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Automotive Repair Technician
at City of Norfolk (VA)
The City of Norfolk's Department of General Services, Fleet Maintenance division is seeking an Automotive Repair Technician who will diagnosis, troubleshoot, and perform major and minor repairs to equipment and vehicles. Performs wrecker operations and other duties such as cleaning the interior and exterior areas of the shop, ordering and picking up parts, and logging information into the computer.
- Essential Functions
Technicians may work with: Passenger vehicles, buses, off-road vehicles, large, medium, and heavy duty trucks
Essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Performs preventative maintenance and major repair to City owned equipment by checking all safety and mechanical features and repairing transmissions, engines, hydraulic and electrical systems, suspension, brake systems and associated systems.
- Diagnoses and repairs vehicles by using computerized diagnostic equipment and tools to properly locate and correct any problem areas.
- May provide wrecker service duties by retrieving City vehicles and towing to the Fleet compound as necessary.
- Uses several types of diagnostic equipment for repairs ranging from drivablity to ABS.
- Requires heavy lifting (up to 75 lbs.); also, stooping and bending over equipment. Occasionally may have to climb onto equipment.
- Assist shop manager with day to day shop operations.
Level of knowledge equivalent to four years of high school or equivalency.
Two years experience in automotive maintenance.
Preferred applicant will possess:
- Six months or more of advanced education or training past high school equivalency.
- ASE- Automotive Service Excellence Certification.
- VA State Safety Inspection Certification.
- Knowledge of methods, practices and theory of vehicular maintenance and repair, and hydraulics.
- Knowledge of automotive maintenance and repair.
- Ability to use basic computer software, such as Microsoft Windows and Fleet Management software.
- Ability to lift 75 pounds and work in dirty or hazardous areas.
- Additional Information & Requirements
Valid CDL (Class A ) Driver's License must be obtained within six (6) months of hire.
Candidates selected to interview for this position will be required to obtain and provide a DMV transcript (Obtained within the previous 30 days) at the time of interview.
Hours: Monday - Friday 6:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.