AvalonBay Communities Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Internal Recovery/Collections Specialist
at AvalonBay Communities Inc.
- Job ID
- Experience (Years)
- US-VA-Virginia Beach
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Job Type
- Non Exempt
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019.
Come be part of an award-winning company! AvalonBay, an S&P 500 company, is in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring, and managing luxury apartments in the multi-family housing industry. We are looking for enthusiastic, customer-service focused individuals to be a part of our award-winning team. So if you're looking for a rewarding career opportunity with the top property management organization in the country, we'd like to hear from you! We are looking for the right candidate to join our Internal Recovery Team in Virginia Beach, VA.
The Internal Recovery Specialist is responsible for contacting current and past residents to collect overdue monies or account receivables.
- Research and analyze accounts prior to initiating resident contact, examine historical data and evaluate past collection efforts.
- Apply standard due diligence practices to collect monies owed on accounts, compose correspondence requiring knowledge of procedures and practices in collections and also send standardized collection letters.
- Maintain and update files on all past due account statuses, documenting details of methods utilized to secure payment, contact attempts, conversation with prior residents and contact records.
- Determine reasons for delinquency (RFD) during account contact, bring accounts current and follow-up to ensure payment obligations are satisfied.
- Advise current residents with past due accounts the benefits of meeting payment obligations, educating current residents to consequences of non-payment.
- Provide limited financial counseling to discuss and resolve delinquency. Recommend hardship or other deferments to manager when appropriate.
- Utilize AvalonBay systems to access and update account information regarding delinquent accounts, ensuring data accuracy before and after entry.
- Review accounts prior to transiting to litigation based on departmental guidelines.
- Successfully meet all established performance standards, metrics and collection goals.
- Handle customer disputes via phone, email or other correspondence.
- Be available to work Monday – Thursday until 8:30 and rotating Fridays and Saturdays.
- Other duties as assigned by Team Manager
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Additionally, the requirements listed below are representative of knowledge, skills and or ability required.
1. High School Diploma or equivalent (GED)
2. One year experience in a contact call center, shared services center, fast paced office operations environment or sales role preferred.
3. Working knowledge of federal and state debt collection laws, regulations and practices demonstrated by prior work experience in debt collection, including the Federal Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA) and Federal Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
4. Knowledge of procedural and legal aspects of collecting as demonstrated by prior work experience in debt collection.
5. Ability to learn rules, regulations and methods as related to debt collection.
6. Excellent problem solving and negotiation skills as demonstrated by prior work experience in debt collection.
7. Skill in evaluating information, date or situations and making judgments based on facts as demonstrated by prior work experience in debt collection.
8. Ability to work independently as well as on a team to meet desired results.
9. Strong verbal communication skills, with the ability to tactfully communicate and handle sensitive information with residents while educating current or prior residents of the benefit of meeting their obligations and the possible consequences of not meeting their obligations.
10. Ability to communicate with customer via phone or email to address disputes as demonstrated by prior work experience in a contact call center or shared services center.
11. Ability to perform mathematic skills such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division to perform basic calculations and analysis such as estimating, determining averages and percentages.
12. Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite to include Word and Excel applications.
13. Must have the ability to learn and understand the navigation of multiple computer systems simultaneously.
14. Time management and organizational skills as demonstrated by prior work experience in debt collection.
15. Demonstrated exceptional teamwork skills as demonstrated by prior work experience in debt collection.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.