Albemarle County Public Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
DMV 3rd Party Tester & Contact Person
at Albemarle County Public Schools
DMV 3rd Party Tester & Contact Person
Non-Exempt, Pay Grade 11
DMV 3rd Party Tester & Contact Person serves as contact person and responsible party for DMV Third-Party Tester program. Supervises and monitor all issues pertaining to DMV testing and correspondence. Operates school bus and other vehicles for the purpose of transporting students to and from designated locations Represents DMV as third-party driver tester for all Division trainees seeking a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). Maintains all records required by DMV for third-party testing in accordance with precise DMV guidelines; responsible for ensuring third-party testing records pass annual audits by DMV. Essential functions, include and are not limited to the following:
- Possess a valid Virginia commercial driver's license with the classification and endorsements required for operation of the class and type of commercial motor vehicle used in skills tests conducted by the examiner;
- Within three years prior to application, have had no conviction for any offense listed in § 46.2-341.18 or § 46.2-341.19, whether or not such offense was committed in a commercial motor vehicle;
- Must be certified by the Virginia Department of Education as a school bus training instructor;
- Attends state level conferences to remain apprised of innovative training techniques within the industry;
- Drives as a home-to-school substitute school bus driver or ride as a bus assistant as needed;
- Maintains certification as authorized Virginia DMV third party tester for all Division trainees seeking a Commercial Driver’s License; conducts third-party testing as DMV's representative for all Division trainees seeking a Commercial Driver’s License;
- Maintains all records required by DMV for third-party testing in accordance with precise DMV guidelines; responsible for ensuring third-party testing records pass annual audits by DMV;
- Conducts classroom training sessions for obtaining a DMV permit and for completing DOE new driver curriculum; Trains new bus drivers in Behind-the-Wheel techniques and pre-trip instruction;
- Assures confidentiality of DMV and DOE files;
- Safely operates a school bus over long distances across interstate and state primary roads at sustained legally allowed speeds, in a manner that fosters a safe and conscientious image to the public;
- Conducts safe and orderly loading and unloading of students at specified stops;
- Maintains order and discipline on the bus;
- Attends pre-service, in-service, and other required meetings pertaining to the job;
- Performs routine operator care to include: washing the bus; sweeping interior; checking equipment and reporting defects; and presenting bus for regularly scheduled maintenance;
- Accomplishes and submits daily mileage reports and bus conduct reports, as required;
- Checks email regularly; Maintains daily time records via iPod; Ensures timely submission of timekeeping data to department administration;
- Responsible for ensuring all accidents are immediately reported to a Driver Supervisor;
- Installation of tire chains as required;
- Performs related duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS: Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and least three years as a school bus driver. Experience with using Microsoft Office preferred. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Satisfactory health condition as certified by competent medical authority which includes a drug screening test. Completion of Virginia School Bus Driver Training Program, and possession of the endorsement for operating a school bus. Must successfully complete the Virginia Education Department training curriculum for school bus drivers and obtain a Commercial Driver's License with appropriate school bus endorsements within the probationary period. Must be certified by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) as a third party tester of all Division trainees seeking a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), or obtain this certification within the probationary period. Must complete State and County requirements of twenty-four hours of classroom and twenty-four hours of behind the wheel instruction. No reckless driving or driving under the influence convictions for five years, fewer than two moving violations within 12 months of employment, and no other felony convictions within five years.
Considerable knowledge of: the operation of medium and light automotive equipment; local, state and federal traffic laws and regulations; road, street and school locations within the County; transportation of Special Needs pupils; the proper use and operation of two-way radio equipment. Ability to supervise and lead others. Ability to communicate well with others. Ability to use computer hardware (i.e., computer, printer, iPad) and software (i.e., Microsoft Windows OS, Outlook, Word). Ability to keep and manage computer records and files. Ability to develop and maintain a positive attitude; communicate and develop effective working relationships with others. English language proficiency is required per Code of Virginia 46.2-341.14.
PHYSICAL CONDITIONS AND NATURE OF WORK CONTACTS: Work is typically performed inside and occasionally in and around the exterior of a school bus. Person shall have no impairment of the use of a foot, leg, hand, finger, or an arm, and no other structural defects or limitation likely to interfere with the ability to control and safely drive a school bus. Must jump from or climb up to at least 3.5 feet, at the emergency door, to assist in the evacuation of the students. Occasional operation of vehicles during inclement weather is required. Frequent bending, stooping, crawling and climbing to inspect on and under a school bus is necessary. Occasional lifting of at least fifty pounds is required. Frequent contact with driver supervisors is required. Direct contact with drivers and students is required. Direct contact with principals, parents and the general public is required. Occasional meetings with principals, supervisors, drivers and parents are necessary.
SALARY: $16.49 - $19.79/per hour, based on experience and internal equity
Internal candidates will receive pay adjustments in accordance with County School Board Policy, GCBA-R.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Until Filled
Job Contact Information
Thursday, July 18, 2019 12:00 AM
(Eastern Standard Time)